Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ironman

No I am not participating in any triathlon.  I'm not a runner. :)

In my context, "Ironman" is what we call running a JV / Level 3 game all by yourself.  For those games, we generally run dual refs, but for some reason we were really short on HS refs last week.  I was surprised we were so short on HS refs considering there have been very few weather related cancellations.  I could understand if the schedules stacked up due to a lot of makeups due to rain or snow outs, but that hasn't happened this Spring.

NOTE:  We never run Varsity as an "Ironman."  At worst case, we'll run dual refs as opposed to double dual (i.e. 3 refs).



The "Ironman" didn't bug me as it is similar to running games where I have volunteer A/Rs, except of course I have to be everywhere.  The JV coaches understand the limitation of "Ironman" games (basically, subtle offside offenses WILL NOT be called).  My experience?  Actually, it did me a lot of good.  For whatever reason, I saw every foul and was very confident in what I called.  I had one girl complain about a push I missed, and I know I missed a 'dangerous play', but otherwise it just "clicked."  Maybe it is due to finally having the experience combined with the knowledge of the Laws (Rules in HS).  The only downside is you tend to run the game from the center, drifting over as necessary, as opposed to staying wide and keeping the A/Rs in your line of sight.  So I have to remember the good and remember better positioning.  BTW, one coach complimented that my "ironman" game was run better than some of the dual games this season.

Otherwise...
  • Had a mercy rule JV game later that week.  The other ref expected a one-sided game, but I was still very surprised as I know the HS that lost is in an area of good club teams and one would think the same girls would be playing HS.  Maybe this local club team 'discourages' HS playing?
  • A/R U17 Div 1 Boys with two Grade 6 refs.  I was amazed the CR escaped without issuing a caution.  In the debrief, we all agreed one caution should have been issued, but he was able to keep the game "temperature" from getting too high.  I've worked with the other A/R before and hope to get more games with these refs.
  • Worked a U-11 Girls Rec game because, again, we were really short on refs this weekend (due to Easter perhaps?).  Figured I earned some brownie points with the Assignor, and hopefully some good Karma before my U-16 Boys game this upcoming weekend (running CR there).
When working the rec games, I keep things in perspective - these kids are happy to be out playing soccer, so they're going to get my best effort.  The day I think a game is "beneath" me is the day I need to hang up my ref whistle and never run another game.

No comments:

Post a Comment