Monday, April 2, 2012

Parental Guidance Suggested

In my last blog post I commented that I had my first parent removal.  Right now I'm in the middle of I don't know what type of Karma.  In my last three CR games I have had to remove a parent/spectator.  All three were a result of my AR calling me over to remove the offender.  Here's the latest two:
  • State Cup.  I was CR for a U-12 boys game.  My AR-1 is a Grade 7.  My AR-2 is a Grade 6.  Wow that's a ton of AR experience for a U-12 boys game (even for State Cup).  Anyway, Blue team is winning 1-0.  White team launches a shot at goal.  From my angle, the GK acted a bit 'weird'.  Goal is scored (ball went through his legs), I glance over at my AR-2, and his flag is up.  Uh oh.  Fortunately I'm real good at *not* signalling a goal until after my AR confirms the goal.  So I backpedaled to him.  He called offside since an attacker was in an offside position and was charging at the keeper, influencing play.  OK that could explain the GK's reaction.  We talk about it, and, I know from past experience he knows his stuff, so I agree with his recommendation and disallow the goal.   White coach isn't terribly happy, so I run over and explain our call, and conclude "well it is a correct application of the Law, and that's the call I'm making."  White team's parents are somewhat up in arms.  So the IFK is taken and clearly the Blue team is offside on the IFK.  Easy call.  Some idiot screams "way to not swallow your whistle that time ref."  I'm about ready to shut the whole sideline up but my AR-2 beat me to it.  Then he tells me "Brian this parent has to go."  So I run over there and let him know he's done.  Gets up and argues, but hey I'm taller (and bigger) than he is, and he ultimately leaves.  Ironically, a Grade 8 AR likely does not make the offside call and the game may turn out differently (it ended 3-0).
The good news about the whole event is that at the end of the game the White team coach participates in the sportsmanship line and thanks us for a job well done. Those are the coaches I like.  Be fair in your dissent, and at the end of the game realize it is over and most likely the refs had nothing to do with the result.


  • U-15 Div 4 Boys' game.  I've said U-15 boys can be the toughest game to ref.  Well not this one.  5 fouls in the entire game.  Toughest part for me was keeping up with "keeper punt" style of play for the last 10 min of the game.  Should've sent off the teams for lack of actual possession strategy.  Anyway, midway through the second half, my AR-2 raises his flag and screams my name.  I wonder, there's absolutely nothing I could possibly be missing, what is going on.  Turns out some, well, south end of a donkey facing north is refusing to move off the touch line and calling my AR a "m-f."  That's easy.  He's removed.  Calls me and my AR-2 a "m-f", but it's amazing what some peer pressure and standing your ground will do to people.  He leaves.
Maybe I need to go work a U-8 game to break my streak.  Oh that might be worse actually. :)

Also got assessed as an AR when the Center was getting his Grade 7 upgrade.  They always find something wrong, so the assessor's comments were "you are about 1/2 yard off in your marking of the defender.  Wow he picked up effectively 18 inches on a 120 yard field.  Impressive.  He did give me a good tip to help me with my side-shuffling - he commented I seemed uncomfortable (and from time to time I am).  Otherwise I had no troubles.  Now the CR did, but he passed anyway.

Lots of HS games this week weather pending.  Wonder if I'll break my karma.

No comments:

Post a Comment