Monday, March 5, 2012

Mother Nature - undefeated and untied

Well a bummer for me this past weekend.  What should have been eight games (3 on turf, 5 on grass) ended up being ONE (on turf).  Mother Nature (or is it Old Man Winter?) didn't give us the needed warm temperatures (and winds) to dry out the rest of the Denver Metro grass fields, especially on the south side of town.

So the thin layer of ice and snow forced a 90% cancellation of the tournament I was supposed to work (and my son was supposed to play).  They did manage to get a few brackets in; unfortunately that left me one and only one game.  Ran CR for an uneventful U-12 boys game.  I only called 2 fouls the entire game.  It was also the coldest game I ever reffed - when I was done the air temp was +25F (yes this was at night under the lights).  Fortunately, no wind.  I had a long sleeve "wick" short, a mock turtleneck, and a fleece under my Ref shirt.  All black of course.  Including the ref shirt.  Black sweats, black hat, and black gloves.  I actually felt quite comfortable running around.

I did learn a big lesson though.  I chose the Ref color (black).  Bad idea.  Due to the snow piles, the parents were real close to the field.  They were all wearing dark coats.  I had a tough time finding my Jr. A/R as she blended in with the parents.  So lesson learned.  Don't pick a Black Shirt at night in the COLD.  :)

This week - HS kicks off!  Regular Season (Spring) Kicks off!  I have my HS assessment this weekend.  All this assumes Old Man Winter doesn't play a trick on us with a late week snowstorm.  The way our winter is going - he will.

No comments:

Post a Comment