Thursday, March 17, 2011

Back in High School

As I mentioned, I had my first two HS games this past Tuesday.  The games were JV and Grade 3 (generally frosh/soph) games.  So I get to the HS and the first thing I notice is, damn I am old.  OK more seriously, I notice the home team is wearing Gold and the visitors Black, which, coincidentally, is the only shirt colors I have.  The other Side Ref (that's what we're called in the Dual system) happens to be the same dude that was an AR in my first USSF game.  That's way cool because he is a HS coach and has run HS games, so he knows the ropes and, more importantly, helped me with expectations.  Also, he had an extra red jersey.  So on went the red jerseys - problem solved.


Also, knowing this ref and his experience level, I was much more at ease.  I knew he would keep me grounded if I got too whistle happy.  Quite frankly, the JV game was pretty laid back.  Over half the girls on the two teams knew each other from club soccer. The game was at a good level of play and only a few fouls were whistled.  The games are longish (80 min) but I got the hang of it.  There was a definite skill level drop off for the Grade 3 game, but that being said there were a few players that you could tell could make Varsity and skip JV entirely in a year.  All went well and I enjoyed the experience.  So much so that I accepted a last minute Grade 3 game MUCH closer to home today (Thursday).  I bought an economy Red shirt (you have to be a Ref to know the difference) - I know I'll occasionally use it at HS, but almost never use it for USSF since red is a color for a lot of our club teams.  Today's Grade 3 game went well - coaches were cool, it was relatively high scoring (4-2), and there was, again, some players that you know will be at Varsity next year.

I did get a bit of grief from some parents today (not Tuesday) on a few of my calls.  HEY PARENTS.  Here's some words of wisdom:
  • I'm human just like your daughter who is playing.  I may miss a call.  It's not intentional.  Honestly.
  • This is JV or Grade 3.  We don't even report the scores.  We only report unusual circumstances (cards, field conditions, or uniforms).  If nothing unusual happens, we don't file a report.
  • Assume my view is better than yours, especially on the touch line since I'm on the damn line.
  • Don't verbally dissent with my call because I'm never going to engage you.  If you get out of hand, I'll summon your coach, and if we can't get you under control, GAME OVER.  How would that make you feel to ruin a game for all 32 (including subs) girls?
Just root for your team.  Or, even better, applaud good plays on both teams.  Some of these girls are really talented, and I enjoy watching it as much as you do.

Yes I know coaches and parents will complain at Varsity.  I'm talking about JV and Grade 3 where the whole point is for the players to improve enough to play Varsity.

This weekend we are really short on refs.  I have 3 games and could easily have accepted 23.  I will find out next week if I am going to be working some State Cup games later on this Spring.  That would be real cool as it is supposed to be the best of the best clubs in Colorado.  The alternative is President's Cup, which is for younger players but is still supposed to be the best of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment