Thursday, January 3, 2013

Year in Review

Wow its been 3 months since my last blog post!  My how time flies.

So the summary and a look ahead:

  • Worked a 1st round 5A HS playoff game as a Side Referee.  Disappointed I wasn't chosen to work a later round game.  This could be caused by the fact I had to turn back a 4A playoff game - or maybe not.  Or I had a few low game ratings (even though I ran CR on only 3 games - all 3 were 5A).  I'll have to find out.
  • My overall game count for this calendar year was 70 Youth Games (33 as CR), 47 HSSO games, and 5 College Club games.  Given all the constraints on my schedule (work, kid playing soccer, other family obligations) that's about the most I will work.  I also generally limit myself to 3 games max per day, even in tournament season.
  • I have come a long way in how I work games.  I still have lots to learn with coach management.  Parents/spectators are straight forward - either ignore them all together or remove them.  My player management improved too.  Can always work on it of course.
The bigger news for me is I am in the process of upgrading to a Grade 7.  That process has been less than smooth so far.  First, there was a disagreement with the number of games that 'count'.  Obviously REC games don't.  However, they were also ready to disqualify my pre- and post- season tournament games.  I fought back - arguing these are 'certified' tournaments using DSC.  They initially argued "well 3v3 tournaments are certified too."  Then I said "3v3 doesn't use DSC.  Also, we rarely log if a reg season game was suspended due to weather - does that count too?"  So they agreed to accept my games.  Then they told me to sign up for the fitness test - which oh BTW was happening in 4 days.  YIKES!  I was in decent shape, but not fitness test shape.  After two training sessions I took the fitness test.  The next surprise is that they asked me to run the distance for a Grade 6 at my age, not Grade 7.  Or I totally misunderstood the distance I should have trained for.  I barely - and I mean by 5 meters - passed that part.  The speed tests I passed far more easily since, well, I can still run.  I've already passed the recert test and I've completed most of my intermediate training (I still need a few more hours apparently).  So - all that remains is the on-field assessment.  To be continued...

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment